Lets talk about eyebrows shall we? Not that I’m an expert, I just fancied a chat. Over the last few years eyebrows have become such a ‘thing’ haven’t they? For me personally the first thing I will notice about someone is their eyebrows. That’s not saying I would judge a person purely on what their eyebrows look like, far from it. Besides I have had my fair share of bad (and hilarious) eyebrow days over the years, and honestly I still sometimes get them now. I just have a perhaps slightly odd fascination with them, I love the fact that everyone is different – and so are their eyebrows!
My eyebrow story – in a nutshell
Once upon a time around three-or-four years ago I was still rocking the basically no brows at all look. Not that there is anything wrong with that. However for anyone who has attempted to go from pencil thin to big and bold will know it is a tricky ol’mission!! Pencil thin was rage back when I was at school. Then all of a sudden as if by overnight – big brows, big brows everywhere!
Luckily for me I have got a good set of hair, it grows pretty quick. My problem was trying to get the right shape after being used to plucking them to an inch, or in this case a mm, of their lives. Trying to sculpt them out of my fuzzy face slugs was a NIGHTMARE. I was just awful. Even if I managed to get one right, could I ever get the other to match?! So I ended up plucking them thin again and waiting for them to grow out again for the next attempt. I wasn’t used to applying make-up to them either so I was awful at trying to cover them up.
Enough was enough, it was time to admit defeat, I went to get them done at an eyebrow bar. At first I was nervous, it was something new and alien to me. Suddenly the eyebrows I wanted for ages were on my actual face. I couldn’t stop smiling. When the bright red marks from the wax went down a full face of make-up went on and I loved the new me. I went to a house party that night and everyone was complimenting me, I felt great. My nightmare was over.
Don’t get me wrong it wasn’t quite plain sailing from then on. A number of times I decided to be experimental with the shape of them and fail. Not forgetting the time I attempted to wax them myself and bought a pot of wax and left myself with half a brow. I had my trusty eyebrow lady to go back to though.
..and me and my brows lived happily ever after, mostly. I still mess them up every now and again but I tend to just hide it with make-up.
My Do’s and Don’ts guide if your eyebrows are bringing you down
Turn that frown upside-down, here is my Do’s and Don’ts to getting the brows for you:
- Don’t feel like your eyebrows need to look a certain way, be yourself and have them how you want them
- Don’t be afraid to switch them up and change the shape once in a while
- .. But Do maybe think about it for at least 10 mins first and not just jump straight into it. Chances are if you do that you may just change your mind again halfway through.
- Don’t attempt to do anything with them under the influence of alcohol It might somehow seem like a good idea, its not!
- Do seek inspiration. A few of my fave places for this are Pinterest, Google, Instagram and while people watching in the que at Primark
- Do ask a responsible friend or family member to help out
- Don’t let your boyfriend do them if he’s anything like mine
- Do watch eyebrow tutorials on YouTube
- Don’t worry if it all goes horribly wrong. Just keep practising Hun, you can do it x
Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed – and may your coffee be as strong as your eyebrow game.
Have you got any tips and tricks with eyebrows? Let me know in the comments.